Saturday 16 June 2007

Roads.

How can I get the importance of road safety into LAs head??? She really has no concept of danger at all, and no matter how many times I've explained how dangerous the roads are, she continues to attempt to run out into them, run away from me near them and yesterday had a laying down tantrum in the middle of (luckily a very quiet) one.
I've tried everything I can think of - even scare tactics, but to no avail. I understand that she thinks shes indestructible, so I've tried the "It really upsets me" tactic as well, but no good - - she either isn't capable of retaining the information or understanding what I'm saying. She always says sorry, and will list all the things I've told her - but her behaviour doesn't change.
Is my only option to go back to the wrist-strap?
Ideas on a postcard please....

Not got much time to blog this week, life is being a bit poo.

3 comments:

Friendstacy said...

has she never stepped on a bug and squished it flat? That's something she can understand. My oldest child was quite upset the first time she did that and the bug died.

I don't have many rules, but one of them is that we always hold hands when crossing the street or walking in a parking lot. When my oldest child was two, and was likely to bolt and run away from me at every given opportunity, I either found safe places for her to run or told her that she had to sit in the stroller or in the babysling if she couldn't stay near me where I knew she was safe. This time at least, the threat did work, without a big power struggle, probably due in part to the long conversations we had discussing the reason behind my rule.

Jules said...

Yes, we've done the bug thing (we've even looked at squashed birds), and the long conversations, and I identify safe places that she can run when we're walking...
...she just doesn't listen.
I think its gonna have to be the wrist strap again. Maybe returning to the "baby way" will inspire her to take it a bit more seriously.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Jax Blunt said...

I'd go with the wrist strap or reins if you can find any that will fit - that has always sorted my two out if they forget about danger.