Monday 11 June 2007

The Invisible Gran

Gran lives just around the corner in a pink house, she has white hair and likes pink. She visits quite often and lets herself in. She's been popping by on almost a daily basis, ever since LA learnt to talk - maybe before... ! Sometimes she's up by the shop, the park or we drive past her. She's always very nice to LA, she will stop for a while and play or suggest something to do. LA obviously likes her a lot and is always pleased to see her.
Sometimes she goes out for the day or she's not very well so she can't come here. She doesn't work, but she has a dog which she walks. A white dog. She always wears a dress and a hat and she smells funny.
She's very wise, and often suggests that LA apologises for things such as writing on the wall or spilling her drink on the carpet. She will even sit down and look at a book with LA. Sometimes she knows where things are that we've spent hours looking for.
Although I've never heard her speak, I think she must be quite old, because the words LA learns from her are very dated and the games are quite old fashioned.

I was secretly watching LA earlier, as Mums do, when Gran popped in. LA was watching TV, she suddenly looked round "Oh Hello Gran" she said smiling, then turned back to the TV.

When I tell people about her, they get chills down their backs, but she's never done that to us.
I used to think Gran was a imaginary friend but I'm not certain anymore.
Whoever she is, she's welcome here.

5 comments:

Friendstacy said...

I had an invisible friend when I was little. I'd get very upset whenever anyone called him "imaginary." He was very old, too, and very wise.

penny said...

my sister had a ghost in her last house, Mrs Thomas. She was a friendly ghost most of the time but when they had marital problems she made it clear that she didn't approve.

I hope my mother's spirit doesn't get left behind anywhere. It will make for a terribly gloomy place.

dottyspots said...

I don't subscribe to the notion of 'imaginary friends'. Just because I can't see, hear or smell something, doesn't mean my children can't :0)

It may well be that you have a visitor who appears to be very kind and of support to your daughter :0)

Jules said...

I think I'll just continue to sit on the fence in a very boring can't-decide kind of way.
She does have an "Imaginary friend" who fits the "imaginary friend" description nicely, he's called Aaron. But he's definately a very different thing to Gran. Then again, imagination is imagination - - -I don't know.
But Gran, real or imaginary appears to be lovely, so I don't really care!

dottyspots said...

I think so long as they seem to be nice and the child is happy, then it's fine.

Erk (now 10) had a few a few years ago who had him in tears. They used to giggle in the corner and keep him awake.