Monday 28 May 2007

Disempowerment (I rant on...)

This post (RANT) was inspired by a post on http://playingitbyear.homeschooljournal.net/2007/05/27/disempowerment/

I went to comment - then realised my comment would be more of a take over bid than a comment, so I'll post it here.

I drive a lot in my job, and as well as looking at the wonderful views I get to look at the back of a lot of lorrys, so I think a lot... and recently I have been pondering the fabric of society...oh yes, deep thinking...

I was thinking about breastfeeding (not that I do that anymore), but it's one of those topics that people seek me out to talk about, along with the moon, giving birth, and psychosis.
Anyhow, there I was pondering breastfeeding and this image of shelves in a supermarket with pasteurised human milk struck me squarely between the eyes.
Isn't it odd, how unacceptable that image is.
Yet, we feed our young milk from cows everyday. Milk that is designed for cows is acceptable, Milk that is designed for humans is disgusting.

and so I pondered on...
I breastfed my little one for 2 1/2 years. At the end, I had a lot of pressure put on me to stop by my family and I kept it secret from the rest of the world. So back to the imagery then... if it is so disgusting for a human to feed their young then we need to stop all other mammals doing so too. Stop those little lambs helping themselves to their mothers milk, stop those calves from sucking , ban the boob, the udder and all other mammary organs. Ban them all.


As you can tell, the journey was boring and my poor passenger was now regretting coming with me... as they often do...

Obviously with my recent reading about schools and Home Education my imagination took the short trip there... and off I went...why is it the world thinks I will not be able to provide my daughter with a decent education? How dare they even suggest that? I'm a well qualified professional, with an absolute desire to spend as much quality time with my daughter as possible and No, breakfast time ("GET UP" "EAT UP" "HURRY UP") and dinner time ("WAKE UP" "EAT UP" and "GO UP TO BED") will not be sufficient. They are not taking my child away to sit bored in a classroom all day, she is my child, and I am capable.

Passenger politely points out beautiful sunset...

1 comment:

Betula said...

Well said! She's your child, not the state's, and should be able to spend her formative years with you if that's what you and she want, not with someone who thinks they're better than you at educating her :-)