Monday 4 August 2008

York Minster


We have been revisiting the remnants of our Christian Faith. I must admit that my remnants seem to become more and more fragmented every time I pop by to visit them, but hey - whatever!

On the way home from Scarborough we visited York, this is where Rich and I spent our Honeymoon 19 years ago. We went specifically to visit the Minster.
It really is a magnificent building, fascinating to wander and admire.

Why are 2 pagans taking their 4 year old to see a symbol of Christianity? Probably because we are bonkers, but alongside that was a desire to let her see that other people believed differently to us and had created this wonderful beauty in their desire to pay respect to the glory of their God.
...it was a little different to the trees she's used to.
We gave her something to think about, so we achieved our aim.
Personally I have been reading a book by Terry Waite "Taken on Trust", about the time he spent as a hostage in the Middle East. He spent 4 years in solitary confinement and his faith shows through the entire book. However, it wasn't this that has left me with the feeling that this is a book I am never going to forget, it was the intregity of the man that did that. I don't think I have ever had the privledge of meeting a man so grounded, so solid and so real. Despite the "opposing" religious beliefs, this book is going straight on my favourites list, although I don't think I'll ever have to read it again as it was so clear and has made such an impression the first time!

3 comments:

dottyspots said...

I like visiting cathedrals (etc), they're interesting to see and I find in some places there is a strong 'feel' in there. I used to work at Coventry Cathedral (yep, pagan, but I worked there, not in any religious role it has to be said) and there definetely is an aura about the place.

Brad said...

That architecture is breathtaking. When you live in a place that was only settled 150 years ago this is amazing stuff. Some day I'll get to the UK. Some day.

Joni Dixon-Stanger said...

I have ventured onto your site via Brad's and if you don't mind I'm not clear as to what a Pagan is. Would you mind explaining it? I know I could look it up in the dictionary but I would rather hear it from an authority. Thank you so much.