Sunday 24 August 2008

thinking...

This week LA should start school.
I'm not sure how either of us feels about that.
She doesn't appear to care other than being sad that she won't be able to play with her friends so much now. She hasn't expressed any desire to go to school for several months now and she seems happy with the idea that we will be learning at home and going to lots of fun places. We have a holiday at Butlins (no expense spared!!) at the end of September. I booked it so that she would have something to be excited about while all her friends were getting excited about starting school. It seems to have done the trick.
Personally, I feel this strange mixture of relief, excitement and sadness. I wasn't expecting the sadness. I feel sad that I'm preventing her from taking part in this rite of passage, like i'm depriving her of something that she'll regret later. Yet, I have no doubt that she'll do much better at home than she would at school. She doesn't even appear emotionally up to going to school, she's still very clingy and very much a mummys girl. I think a lot of this is coming from work, there are several parents there whose children are starting school this week and they chatter on about how excited little **** and **** are about it.
I guess time will tell...

2 comments:

Brad said...

I think the trade off of the excitment of getting to see old friends will certainly be outweighed by all the things she'll be exposed to outside of the establishments ideas of education.

Lord knows I would have fared better if I'd been home educated.

dottyspots said...

It's a funny time isn't it? Nin will be 5 in October, so she would be due to start school next week. We've had a few, "Aren't you excited to be starting school?" comments, but they don't really bother me so much anymore.

Once we get back into the swing of getting to the HE meets (have had to have a bit of a break recently due to some 'family stuff') I think it'll be better as we'll be 'out and about' again and really, who wants to be stuck in school when you can be at the park, or walking in the woods, or playing in the sand with other HE children?