Wednesday 26 September 2007

Playschool (again)

Ho Hum.

LA goes to playschool in the local hall twice a week.
I have positive and negative thoughts and feelings about this; when I'm feeling positive I think that it's an opportunity for her to meet people and have new experiences. When I'm more negative, I think it's a waste of time which could be better used, I think that she is being exposed to situations that I'd rather she wasn't (other kids tempers, for example), I think that they are inadvertently pushing the message that "big school is next".
On the whole I tend to feel that the positives at least equal the negatives.

However, since the start of term this has changed.
The group has started to take in 2-year-olds. Now this could be my bias, in that I believe people that small should be in a safe homely environment not knocking around with 20 other children in a church hall with 4 adults. But hey, each to their own.

So to my own... I find that I am not particularly happy about LA spending her time in this environment, and it is the small people that are causing my discomfort, although arguably it could just be me.

They play outside a whole lot more, which is good, except that the games they play are targeted at the tiny ones and LA doesn't find them fun or challenging. When she does a drawing, someone will scribble on it. The other day she was doing a jigsaw and a little one took all of her pieces away.
Obviously none of this is malicious, but it does build up to a frustrated LA.

I fully understand the playschools point of view, if they didn't take 2 year olds they would have to close as the local school now takes all the 4 year olds in September.

I wish they didn't - it's obvious when you step back and look at it. Unhappy 2 year olds, who want their Mums and bored and frustrated 3 year olds who want their playschool back.

No comments: