Friday 29 February 2008

Disaster (s)

Oh dear, its not been a good week here in the acorn abode.

It started Sunday morning when the shower caught fire while I was standing in it. I noticed the smell - but didn't take too much notice until I turned around and saw the white plastic melting on the wall.
I had one of those moments when you think too fast. "I'm wet, I'm standing in a metal bath, I need to turn the electric shower off - oh help!!!"
So the new extensions carpet has been put on hold for a new shower!

Then BA decided to leave college, 3 months before his A2 exams. This has been a long time coming, he hasn't been happy for a long time. However, now I have an 18 year old with no self confidence about his ability to find work or a further course. The college used to treat him like a child, which really bugged him (and us), but has eroded his confidence by much more than I realised.

Then LA had her MMR on Monday, a brave but scary decision for us, as BA had an awful reaction to his and MA didn't have hers until she was 12. LA appears ok at the moment, certainly no dramatic episodes like we had with BA (phew).

and yesterday, I came back from taking MA to school and the house was flooding. The ball cock had come loose (rusted off) in the upstairs toilet, and it was continuously filling. Water was spurting out the overflow, and sheeting down into the kitchen and the conservatory. Looking on the bright side I had moved all LAs books the day before, if I hadn't they would have been ruined.
So yesterday and today has been spent clearing up the mess.

And today MA refused to go to college again. I have called them and asked for help - I don't really know what to expect, but her attendance is appalling. I don't think she's made a single complete week since September and this is GCSE year. She also hates the college (same one), but its far too late to change things now. She has been accepted at a different college for next year, but they will change their minds if her attendance continues to fall.

So much for my holiday, I'll be glad to get back to work tomorrow.

No comments: